Pages

Disable select-text

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Do I Deserve to Be Happy?

by Gil Camporazo

Father's Day is a tradition among the Americans and likewise with the Filipinos. It is observed every 3rd Sunday of June. Children, grandchildren, and even wives keep this momentous day to honor fathers for their exemplary contribution to their family and to the community where they live.


According to history, it was on July 5, 1908, when the first Father's Day was observed in Fairmont, West Virginia as a result of Anna Jarvis' promotion of Mother's Day in Grafton, West Virginia. It was only a local celebration in that particular place in West Virginia.

In 1996, President Lyndon B. Johnson issued the first presidential proclamation to honor fathers. Thus, the 3rd Sunday of June was designated as Father's Day. And in 1972, President Richard Nixon signed a bill into law, making this celebration a permanent national holiday in the United States of America.

Others countries have been influenced by such celebration and they have their own system of celebrating it. Our country Philippines has adapted the said Sunday for celebrating Father's Day.

On Father's Day

Early in the morning, I was awakened by a warm kiss from my wife who whispered to my right ear, "Happy Father's Day". As I opened my eyes wide, I saw my wife with a big smile on her face.

"Thank you. I love you," tacitly I quipped.

Without saying my morning prayer, I grabbed my mobile phone and checked it to find out the first Father's Day greetings which came from my wife. Then another video greeting from my eldest daughter, Dona Greece followed.

Before I went down from my bed, our grandson, Toto Bryan approached, hugged me and greeted me, Father's Day. As I took a seat near my laptop track to take my hot cup of oat, my youngest daughter, Geeree greeted me while hugging me tight. She was followed by our smart, 3-year old granddaughter Inday Sophie. With a big smile on her chubby face, she kissed me on my right cheek while mumbling, "Father's Day".

Date at Foodman

My daughter-in-law, Inday Carissa and my eldest daughter, Dona Greece and her hubby, Almon have approached me and greeted me too.

We went to Church together. Our youth members have prepared a special song number for the fathers after the Sacrament meeting. Every youth took the turn to give the fathers a token like a  hand-made bracelet with "Father's Day" inscription and a tie in a gift wrapper.

After a posterity picture, we went home. After changing our clothes, we have a date at the Foodman to fill our tummy with a spaghetti, a bihon (noodles), and soda drinks. We captured the precious moments we have had on this momentous day of all the fathers.

Is it enough for such occasion for me to be happy?


No comments:

Post a Comment